Admission Criteria for Columbus Campus and Online Students
The Ohio State Academy at the Columbus campus follows the same competitive admission process as undergraduate admissions for new freshmen students. Middle and high school students who wish to be considered for the Academy at the Columbus campus will be evaluated based on the following:
- Successful completion of courses within the college prep curriculum: English, Math, Natural Science, Social Science, Foreign Language and Visual & Performing Arts
- High School performance (class rank and GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB. While Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA, admitted students generally are in the top 10 - 15% of their high school class.
COVID-19 has greatly reduced the availability of students to provide ACT and SAT scores. The Ohio Department of Higher Education has announced that colleges can waive college readiness tests for the Summer 2021, Autumn 2021 and Spring 2022 terms.
Standardized test score (ACT or SAT). OSU will be test-optional for 2021-2022. Admitted students who submit test scores usually score well above the state minimums. (Middle 50% range on ACT is 28 - 32 composite.)
Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement (e.g., co-curricular activities and work experiences)
- Status as a first-generation college student
- Demonstration of outstanding talent in a particular area
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
- Eligible for and will benefit from organized support services at Ohio State
Profile of Students Admitted to the Columbus Campus
Autumn 2020 admitted students demonstrated:
- Strong Curriculum
- English: 80% have earned credit for 3 or more courses
- Math & Natural Science: 90% have earned credit for 3 or more courses
- Social Science & Foreign Language: 75% have earned credit for 3 or more courses
- Strong High School Performance
- 85% ranked in top 15 percent of their class
- 85% had a cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale *
*GPA can vary greatly by high school.
- Strong test scores*
- The middle 50% for ACT composite was 28 - 32
*Test Scores will be waived for 2021-2022.